Wednesday, November 19, 2008

the whole world.


..I don't even know where to start. God and the many ways I see Him work everyday continually amaze me.

Did I ever mention how much I LOVE being a teacher? 
And how grateful I am for the opportunity I get every day to love? To teach. To learn. To hug them and to kiss their cheeks. To give them high fives or winks when they try extra hard. To challenge them but always be their biggest fan. 
I. love. it. so. much.
Everyday I'm reminded of the impact and place I have in my kid's lives.
And everyday I'm amazed that I, of all the more qualified people in the world, have been chosen for this. 
For this school. For these kids. For this beautiful city. For these precious people. For this day and this time in history. For this call.

This week has been absolutely wonderful. Looking back on the past 3 and 1/2 months, these weeks kids are some of the ones I've definitely gotten the closest to. I savored every minute of this past week and Friday came altogether too soon...
But here it is and I just said goodbye to some of Taiwan's most precious. The tears ran down their cheeks and my heart was breaking more with each tear. I held them and didn't want to ever let go. 

"God? Are you sure this job wasn't made for someone stronger them me? Maybe someone who doesn't feel so deeply? Maybe for someone who doesn't really love?"

"Priscilla, for such a time as this."

"But God? What if they don't get love when they go home today? 
What if they don't have anyone to tell them how precious they are? So many of them don't go home to real love...it's all about earning it. What about those?
What about the ones who wore the same shirt everyday this week, because they're too poor to buy another one? 
What about the ones who come with bruises on their arms and parent's that put them there? 
What happens to them? 
What about 10 years from now, God?
Will they know You? Will they be far from You?
Father, so many questions....so much pain in letting them go.
Can I do this, God? Can I keep loving?
What about trusting that You'll take care of them?
What about that?
Can I do that, God? 
....Are you sure?"

After the goodbyes were said and the tears were cried this morning, I asked these questions.
I searched for answers only Father God could give.
And so often like God does, He answered.
But it wasn't in the way I thought I needed or wanted.
I didn't get a description of each of their next few years.
I didn't get a promise that I'll ever be able to see them again.
I wasn't assured that they would go home to love.

But in the quiet all I could hear was something I've heard so many times before.

"He's got the whole world in His hands...
He's got the whole world in His hands.

He's got the little children in His hands..
He's got the whole world in His hands.

He's got the whole world in His hands.."




Thank you, God. 
Thank you for being big. Thank you for always being God. 
Thank you for your love that pursues and beckons the ones You made.
Would you pursue these kid's hearts? 
Would you call them to You?
Would you place people in their lives that know You?
Would you place in them a discontentment with anything but YOUR love?
And Father? 
Can you wipe away their tears and kiss their cheeks when I'm no longer there to do it?
Amen.

---


This afternoon I get on a plane that will take me to Hong Kong for a long weekend. Saphrin and I decided HK would be a good place to explore...so we have tickets there with our names on them. :)
It'll be wonderful. I'll post pictures when I get back!
I guess you can say it's our way of coping with Thanksgiving being next week. Since Taiwan doesn't celebrate it, it's a normal work day for us. Maybe we can find some Turkey in HK somewhere. :)

Until next time. <3


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was an amazing post Priscilla! You are the perfect person for the job- and all the love that you show them in just one week does and will impact them more than you'll ever know! I am proud of ya!